Skip to main content

Purple Hues 3 An Interview with Akanksha Goel





 1: You are a proud contributing Author of Purple Hues-3, India's favorite Anthology. What is your story/poem about? Is it related to your own life or someone you know?



Firstly, I want to thank Purple Hues-3 for giving me such a wonderful platform to share my story. My poem is based on the social issue of child labor. Despite being declared illegal, child labor is widely practiced in India. The specific kind of child labor that my poem highlights are child maids. A huge number of teenage girls are b(r)ought from villages to work in cities as maidservants. They are made to work night and day, in inhumane conditions, simply because many do not even regard them as humans.
I was inspired to write this poem because of a girl who used to work in my own house. She is now back with her sister in her village, preparing for exams to become a nurse.

 2: As the theme for the series is Inspiration, tell us who or what inspired you to start writing.

 I remember I used to write whenever I would be overcome with excitement or sadness. I love to read and mostly prefer fictional works. But stories on social issues are the ones that speak to me the most, and I’m able to relate to them. I am still astonished every day that how beautifully and creatively people present the stories of their lives, their struggles, and their journeys. You live their tale with them. So inspiring and effective some stories are. And, hence, my inspiration to put down my as well as other’s feelings, thoughts, and stories in writing. Also, I'm not very good when it comes to interacting or socializing with people. So that further motivates me to find a companion in pages of my writing.
 
 3: Do you think that Artists have a social responsibility? If you had all the power, what is that one thing you would like to change about our world?
 Ideally speaking, yes, artists do have a social responsibility. But it depends on how many of them agree and accept that responsibility. As writers, we have the power to influence, and therefore, we should be careful about what (and how) we are giving to the people.
I would like to use this power to change the concept of respect practiced (or not practiced) in our world. The amount of respect a person should receive should not be decided based on a person's age, status, profession or even gender. For instance, the concept of caste system still infects a majority of India, where those of lower castes are socially excluded and usually employed in jobs that are never considered worthy of respect, like garbage collection, rag picking, housemaids, or even today, manual scavenging. But let us ask ourselves, who put them there in that social trap? We, the socially ‘superior’ class. And it is also we, the socially ‘superiorclass, who have given ourselves the right to disrespect them. But why, when there are brilliant examples of excellence despite such crippling constraints, like Dilip Kumar - son of Bhagwanaram, a Dalit mine worker - who cracked the very difficult IIT-JEE entrance exam, or that of Kalpana Saroj, who from being a Dalit child bride became a $112 million CEO? This is just one example where people have been unreasonably and inhumanly made alien to the very notion of dignity. We need to return them their dignity, that which is their fundamental right.

 4: What is your message for the young, budding writers?

My own experience, I used to write it as poems and then hide it away in my cupboard because I would be afraid that people might not like it or make fun of it. And because of that, I would get demotivated and stop writing. In fact, it did happen with me in school once when a friend did not appreciate my work. But then I also remembered those who had once liked my work.But that appreciation went by unnoticed. Then, when my sister helped me overcome my fear, I learned to accept both appreciation and criticism for my work. Since then, I believe, my writing has improved tremendously. Therefore, my message for writers is that never be afraid of telling your story. Every person is unique, and so are their stories. Also, most importantly, 'Always respect your work', because you are one of those few who is blessed with the art of writing. So keep writing, keep sharing.

 5: What do you think should be the next theme for Purple Hues?

I think the next theme for Purple Hues should be 'Freedom'. This is because everyone has a different concept of freedom. I find freedom in the world of words. I'm free to innovate and be creative. To be true, I find my true self in there.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Purple Hues -2 An Interview with Nisha Raju

1- Tell us something about yourself. Describe yourself in three words.  A 19year old, who loves writing. Being a foodie, I love exploring new cuisines and restaurants. Also, I’m a wanderlust. I love Indian history and mythology. I have been a part of numerous Anthologies. Also, I have been penning down articles for various magazines. Writing essays, short stories, etc have always been my hobbies, but writing poems is my passion.I have been winning prizes & medals in various elocutions, debates, essays, extempores, quizzes, creative writing, etc. I have won prizes in Science Projects & presentations as well. Also, I have been serving people as a member of Rotaract club of Thane Downtown. Summing up in 3 words, “Simple, Ambitious, Fun-loving” 2- Tell us about your Poem? How did you get the idea for it? What is it about?  This poem depicts the beautiful relation between Parents and Children. It shows the selfless behavior of our parents towards u

Purple Hues - 2 An Interview with Nikita Goel

1- Tell us something about yourself. Describe yourself in three words. I am a Writer from New Delhi currently residing in Texas , USA. I have been working closely with one of the Best Publishing Houses in India and Abroad. My Short Stories and Poems have been published in almost 7 Books , 5 Magazines and Ezines. I decided to become a Writer after discovering the books of Charlotte Bronte and Jane Austen while attending Delhi University during my Graduation.I am currently working as the Managing Editor and Compiler for Purple Hues Anthology Series with the Sanmati Publishers.One of my Poetry Books  - Rhymes and Rhythm has been released Internationally in 26 countries. I ache for Words. I find my refuge in Stories.Writing is a form of Meditation for me. Three Words that could describe me - Believer , Lover and a Dreamer  2- Tell us about your Poem ? How did you get the idea for it? What is it about? " Return Home" , " Remember " and

Purple Hues -2 An Interview with Purba Chakraborty

1- Tell us something about yourself. Describe yourself in three words.  I am a Novelist and Poet from Kolkata. I have authored three books “Walking in the streets of love and destiny”, “The Hidden Letters” and “The Heart Listens to No One”. I live to write and write to live. I am also a blogger and a web content developer. Singing is my cherished hobby. The three words will be: Dreamer | Optimistic | Free-spirited 2- Tell us about your Poem? How did you get the idea for it? What is it about?  The poems that I have written are “A perfect book for you, Mother”, “Adieu” and “Safe Haven”. “A perfect book for you, Mother” is about the poet’s wish to write a book on her mother who has passed away.  “Adieu” is about the emotional parting moment when the father has to bid adieu to her daughter after her marriage.  “Safe Haven” is a poem about how every malady seems to disappear when a person is nestled in the arms of his or her mother.