Skip to main content

Purple Hues - 2 An Interview with Jasleen Kaur



1- Tell us something about yourself. Describe yourself in three words?


Well, I am going to be an engineer soon. And in last few months, my work got published too. I am moving slowly because rushing has often made me fall. I am never keen to find answers, I believe in waiting and getting a surprise.

Three words for me, umm, "Subtle with complexity".




2- Tell us about your Poem? How did you get the idea for it? What is it about?


The poems that I pen are in some way or other related to death. And if not death then they depict the dark side of something. I have been an ardent follower of Emily Dickinson. And maybe that’s why I am so much inclined towards this kind of poetry. I don’t mind in accepting that I fantasize death. Often I have dreams that showcase deaths and doom and also gloomy days.

Out of all poems which I submitted for this book, Cremation is my favorite. It shows the real me. I have seen my mother die in my dreams a lot of time. And the same I tried to pen in my poem. This feeling seems so real to me that I can go on writing verses till eternity. I was certain when I heard the theme of purple hues 2 that one poem would definitely be of this sort.

Other than this, the poem “widow’s passion” is also an apple of my eye. It has a special place in my heart because of its uniqueness. I am really passionate to know more about things that are a taboo. This may sound weird but that’s a fact. And thus, this poem came. I love working out of a general comfort sphere and that is the reason most of my friends didn’t like this poem, as compared to the others.



3- Tell us about your Relationship with your Parents? Invite an incident from your Life where you felt deep gratitude towards your family.

The relationship with my parents has been really exciting. My mother and I weren’t that close when I was growing, emotionally and physically. But then time showed the real things and touchwood, the love has reached the highest peak. Now every task I do is associated with the happiness of my mother. My grandmother has also been an important part of my life. Her support, her love is all that I am left with after her departure.

There is not any particular incident which I can remember right now. But in one way or the other, they have always helped me to learn something new and nice. So my whole personality is constructed by them. And I am really thankful for that.




4- Tell us about your journey as a Writer.


My journey as a writer started with a lie. I named a copied piece of work mine. It’s kind of gross. But then when the appreciation came, I thought of giving it a shot. I was terrible at the start. No one could stand the long and stretched blank verses.

Things always come when they are intended to. This old quote is a true gem. No matter how hard I tried to work professionally, I never saw any opportunity crossing my eyes. Everyone moved and I remained steady for years. But thank goodness I was steady. In all these years of darkness, a writer grew in me.

When I got a little movement myself, I came to know why I needed that seclusion. I needed to understand what it means to touch someone's heart by words.




5- What do you do when you are not writing?


When I am not writing I am reading or watching a movie. I strongly believe that only a regular reader can become a deep writer. You need to learn from others mistakes and appreciate their efforts. You need to be in touch with stories every time. So that the creative mind can always remain open.



6- Who are your favorite authors/ writers?


I don’t have a long list of favorite authors. I haven’t read much until date, to be frank. But still I can name a few. On the top of the list would be R.K. Narayan for sure. He was a different kind of author. There was something serene in his words. Then Kamala Das, I have read just one novel of her and her writing has forced me to try more.
Emily Dickinson is one of my all time favorite poetess. I like John Milton and John Donne too. Also, Sarojini Naidu’s verse can always rejuvenate me. If talking about foreign authors than I would pick G.B. Shaw, Henrik Ibsen, John Osborne, Virginia Woolf, Sidney Sheldon etc-etc.



7- How do you see Yourself five years down the line? What will you be working on next?


Two novellas, two novels, and a poetry book, along with dozens and dozens of contribution in anthologies. This is the basic plan for next five years.
I am thinking of taking a break till my graduation. So I guess, I won’t be working on anything next.


8- How was experience with Sanmati Publishers?


It was a great experience to work with Sanmati publishers and our editor too. We had a nice interaction going on at every stage. I am really pleased to be a part of such group.


9- What would be your message to our readers?


Never form mindsets about one writer or one genre. You never know what new you get to read from a writer you never liked. So be open, accept flaws and be generous. Don’t judge too quickly.



10- Would you like to share few lines from your Poetry at Purple Hues-2

I would love to share some lines. These are from the poem “cremation”, closing lines of this sonnet-

“Burning like a feather, she reduced;
an inevitable death was to be accused.
He moved and baffled but all in vain.
The burning sensation didn’t give her pain.
An orphan now wept in rhythmic grief
but memories do remain as a peerless leaf.”


Interviewed by Nikita Goel

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Purple Hues -2 An Interview with Nisha Raju

1- Tell us something about yourself. Describe yourself in three words.  A 19year old, who loves writing. Being a foodie, I love exploring new cuisines and restaurants. Also, I’m a wanderlust. I love Indian history and mythology. I have been a part of numerous Anthologies. Also, I have been penning down articles for various magazines. Writing essays, short stories, etc have always been my hobbies, but writing poems is my passion.I have been winning prizes & medals in various elocutions, debates, essays, extempores, quizzes, creative writing, etc. I have won prizes in Science Projects & presentations as well. Also, I have been serving people as a member of Rotaract club of Thane Downtown. Summing up in 3 words, “Simple, Ambitious, Fun-loving” 2- Tell us about your Poem? How did you get the idea for it? What is it about?  This poem depicts the beautiful relation between Parents and Children. It shows the selfless behavior of our parents towards u

Purple Hues - 2 An Interview with Nikita Goel

1- Tell us something about yourself. Describe yourself in three words. I am a Writer from New Delhi currently residing in Texas , USA. I have been working closely with one of the Best Publishing Houses in India and Abroad. My Short Stories and Poems have been published in almost 7 Books , 5 Magazines and Ezines. I decided to become a Writer after discovering the books of Charlotte Bronte and Jane Austen while attending Delhi University during my Graduation.I am currently working as the Managing Editor and Compiler for Purple Hues Anthology Series with the Sanmati Publishers.One of my Poetry Books  - Rhymes and Rhythm has been released Internationally in 26 countries. I ache for Words. I find my refuge in Stories.Writing is a form of Meditation for me. Three Words that could describe me - Believer , Lover and a Dreamer  2- Tell us about your Poem ? How did you get the idea for it? What is it about? " Return Home" , " Remember " and

Purple Hues -2 An Interview with Purba Chakraborty

1- Tell us something about yourself. Describe yourself in three words.  I am a Novelist and Poet from Kolkata. I have authored three books “Walking in the streets of love and destiny”, “The Hidden Letters” and “The Heart Listens to No One”. I live to write and write to live. I am also a blogger and a web content developer. Singing is my cherished hobby. The three words will be: Dreamer | Optimistic | Free-spirited 2- Tell us about your Poem? How did you get the idea for it? What is it about?  The poems that I have written are “A perfect book for you, Mother”, “Adieu” and “Safe Haven”. “A perfect book for you, Mother” is about the poet’s wish to write a book on her mother who has passed away.  “Adieu” is about the emotional parting moment when the father has to bid adieu to her daughter after her marriage.  “Safe Haven” is a poem about how every malady seems to disappear when a person is nestled in the arms of his or her mother.